I have been a physician for 15 years.
In this time I've spoken to several hundred of my peers about lifestyle design, happiness, and success. And the one thing that has always caught my attention is how differently those who are employed experience life in comparison to the independent docs. Independent doctors are happier, less stressed, and enjoy their career more than employed doctors.
All of this despite often making less money.
Here are 5 specific reasons why:
- You get to build a business that serves your lifestyle.
- Your income is determined by you and not some insurance bureaucrat.
- When you own a business, you stop exchanging time for money.
- You design services to serve your patients, not shareholders.
- No middlemen between you and your patients. Ever.
Ultimately, being independent allows you to do what my mentor Darren Hardy describes as "being able to do whatever I want, with whomever I want, in whichever way I want. Nobody has power over me and my decisions. If it's not a heck yes, it's a no."
If you start a business (clinical or not), let me know — I'd love to connect with you (and answer any questions you have getting started!).