I have been a practicing physician for 15 years and coaching doctors for the last 5.
In this time I’ve spoken to several hundred doctors and healthcare professionals about lifestyle design, happiness, and success. And the one thing that has always caught my attention is how differently those who are employed experience life in comparison to the independent docs. Independent doctors are happier, less stressed, and enjoy their career more than employed doctors.
All of this despite the fact they often make less money than their employed counterparts.
Here are 5 specific reasons why:
- You build a business that serves your lifestyle, not the other way around.
- Your income is determined by you and not some insurance bureaucrat.
- When you own a business, you stop exchanging time for money.
- You design services to serve your patients, not shareholders.
- No middlemen between you and your patients. Ever.
Ultimately, becoming an entrepreneur allows you to do what my mentor Darren Hardy describes as “being able to do whatever I want, with whomever I want, in whichever way I want. Nobody has power over me and my decisions. If it’s not a heck yes, it’s a no.”